Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Only Game The Man Left


Like I've said before, I love finding new music. And, the only thing that comes close to finding it, is sharing it with friends that appreciate it.
This is a compilation I put together for a few of my "soul hungry" friends.
Lots of good stuff here, some classics and some rarities.

The title of this record is a stolen quote from the 1972 film, "Superfly."
Seeing as how Curtis Mayfield did that soundtrack and is by far one of my favorite soul singers/songwriters/producers/man of many many talents... well... it only seemed fitting.

If you are a lover of soul music or not, I guarantee you'll find something to love here.


01. "Fist Of Fear, Touch Of Death" (Intro)
02. Al Green: Have You Been Making Out OK
03. The Staple Singers: Respect Yourself
04. Sweet Salvation: Do A Number
05. High Voltage: Love Hate
06. Tower Of Power: What Is Hip
07. Floyd Newman: Frog Stomp
08. Otis Redding: That's How Strong My Love Is
09. Sam Cooke: Smoke Rings
10. Candi Staton: I'm Just A Prisoner (Of Your Good Lovin')
11. Freddie North: Cuss The Wind
12. Aretha Franklin: People Get Ready
13. James Brown: Blues And Pants
14. Terry Huff: The Lonely One
15. Curtis Mayfield: Miss Black America
16. Gladys Knight & The Pips: If I Were Your Woman
17. The Dynamics: Woe Is Me
18. Bettye Swann: Chained & Bound
19. Eddie Floyd: I'm Just The Kind Of Fool
20. Johnny Nash: Take Me Back
21. Lou Johnson: Nearer
22. William Bell: Everyday Will Be Like A Holiday


Major thanks goes to one of my favorite blogs, Funk My Soul. Without them, an entire 3rd of this album would still be left undiscovered. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment